As the NIMT’s training and education programme is fully accredited by/with our Namibian Qualifications Authority (NQA), you will be certified on the completion of the training semester on all the modules you have been declared to be competent in. You are then to seek employment in our industry as an artisan-assistant in your trade. After having worked for four uninterrupted years in your trade, the company you are employed with may register you for the National Trade Test. If you are successful, then you have reached/obtained artisan-status.
Full-time Apprenticeship/Vocational Trainee
For the Electrical Field of Study, which includes Air-conditioning & Refrigeration, Autotronics, Electrical General, Instrumentation and Millwright – Electrical, candidates must have completed the grade 12 certificate or equivalent qualification successfully, with at least 14 points in the 5 best subjects, of which at least 4 credits in Mathematics, Science and English (at first or second language) respectively. Preference will be given to students with higher grades. Must be declared healthy and fit by a medical practitioner.
For the Mechanical Field of Study, which includes Boilermaker, Diesel Mechanics and Fitting & Turning, candidates must have completed the grade 12 certificate or equivalent qualification successfully, with at least 11 points in the 5 best subjects, of which at least 3 credits in Mathematics, Science and English (at first or second language) respectively. Preference will be given to students with higher grades. Must be declared healthy and fit by a medical practitioner.
For the Building and Civil Field of Study, which includes Bricklaying & Plastering, Carpentry & Joinery, Clothing Production and Plumbing & Sheetmetal work, candidates must have completed the grade 12 certificate or equivalent qualification successfully, with at least 8 points in the 5 best subjects, of which at least 2 credits in Mathematics, Science and English (at first or second language) respectively. Preference will be given to students with higher grades. Must be declared healthy and fit by a medical practitioner.
- Ensure that the trainee does the practical side of the training under the guidance of a qualified artisan.
- Ensure a secure financial source/backing to cover the tuition/hostel fees and other costs.
- Sign an apprenticeship contract as well as pay the trainee an allowance during the said apprenticeship period.
Skills Upgrading Training (Recognition Of Prior Learning)
A two-day evaluation test is one of the prerequisites of the NIMT to enable registration for the skills upgrading route.
Evaluation tests are taken down to allow/enable the NIMT to advise the employer on which level of training the candidate/s should start. Certified service confirmation letters are to be presented by the employer at registration of the employee.
· Level 1 = 6 weeks
· Level 2 = 7 weeks
· Level 3 = 9 weeks
· Trade Test Preparation = 8 weeks
Between each level the applicable tasks have to be done in industry before the next level can be assigned. Only one level will be allowed per year.
Skills Upgrading Requirements:
- Trainee must first do an evaluation test at the NIMT to establish trainability/recognition of prior learning.
- Trainee must be literate.
- Must be employed to enable him/her (the trainee) to complete the prescribed tasks before advancing to the next level.
- Minimum of three years practical work/job experience, for which appropriate service documents must be presented on application. (by the employer).
- Must be registered by the employer, who also has to carry all applicable expenses.
- Minimum Grade 6 with passes in Mathematics, Physical Science and English (Official Language).
Special Training/artisan Assistant: (Grade 10 And Lower)
The NIMT also offers the Special Trainee Vocational Training possibility.
Please be informed about the following and adhere to the given details delinquently:
- This is an one semester (6 months) Vocational Modular Training route. It starts at the beginning of a semester and will end at the end of the semester;
- No theoretical tuition is attached to this training possibility, except Health, Safety and Environment Level 1;
- Early school leavers with Grade 10 or lower will be given preference;
- Only a fixed number of candidates per trade will be enrolled;
- No trade with an electrical background will be considered for this training – route;
- Special Trainees will have to follow and abide to all NIMT’s rules and regulations;
- NIMT cannot promise any accommodation and/or transport possibilities as the NIMT is normally fully utilizing these possibilities for its formal trainees;
- Maintenance etc. will be the trainees’ own responsibility;
- This is a self-paced, modular training route conducted in our official language, English;
- At enrolment you have to pay in full N$3,000 at the Campus you are enrolling with;
- You have to apply for a governmental loan from the NSFAF;
- You will receive a receipt, which has to be shown at the Central Stores of the Campus. Only then you will be issued with your Practical Safety gear etc.;